Tuesday 30 April 2013

Medals Galore for Gabi




"After winning a bronze medal in the women's épée I was on a bit of a high so struggled to sleep the night before foil. Foil has always been my weaker weapon so I just wanted to do as well as I could, I woke up and I was all jittery and nervous.

We went to breakfast and then went downstairs to get on one of the transport buses to get to the venue. There had been a huge mix up with the buses and we had to wait another hour of a bus, which meant the competition was delayed.

We got to the venue and had a quick warm up lesson and got kitted up. Starting in the Poole rounds I got off to a good start with two wins. I finished in the Poole with 4 wins and 4 loses. I then had to fence a Brazilian to get into the last four. I had fence her and lost to her in the Poole rounds, so I was obviously incredibly nervous. I beat her 15-10, which meant I was in the last four. I was up against a French fencer, Delphine Bernard. She's an incredible fencer and I knew straight away it was going to be a tough fight. I lost 15-13, it was the closest I had got to her, so next time I hope I'll get here.

 I am currently on my way home from the airport. Completely shattered, but it has been an amazing few days!"

Congratulations on your medals Gabi! The road to Rio continues...

0 comments: